Friday 29 June 2018

Yew Primitive Started

I've a few people after Yew primitives, but I really need to sort out my stave stash before I can start, and that will be be later in the year. However I had a guy contact me via Facebook asking for one and he happened to have a short draw 26" @ 40#
Well it just so happens that I was given a roughed out stave that was started by someone but never going to be finished. It was a bit short (61") and had been rather over narrowed at the tips.
I'd accepted it gratefully (thanks Andy) and stuck it in the corner, barely giving it a second glance.
I saw it and thought that it was worth filing in temporary nocks and putting it on the tiller.
Well, at 40# it was only coming back about 6" so there was plenty to work with.
The stave is lovely old Yew, very thoroughly seasoned, nice thin sapwood, a few small to medium knots to give it some character and a couple of small patches where the sapwood has been chaffed through by a rubbing branch.
I've worked the belly down to get it flexing evenly and plugged 8 knots (better safe than sorry!) Now it's pulling back 20" from a lowish brace the bark is starting to pop off cleanly.
It's got the makings of a handsome bow.


No comments:

Post a Comment