Monday 13 May 2019

Striving For Accurate Measurement

Tricky thing trying to measure accurately. I've patched the belly of the flight bow in the previous post and I'm working it back to 50# at 27" (that's 27" to the belly).
The actual repair patch was heat treated before gluing, you can see the length of the patch compared to the spall that broke off the belly in this pic.
I also took some video of it on the tiller.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfctW4fZAO0&t=5s

I've just got it teased back and taken measurements at 24, 25 and 26". The first reading at 24 was just over 42# but I drew it again and it had settled a whisker.
24" 41.8#
25" 44.2#
26" 46.8#
This gives 2.6# for that last inch and that gives a total of 49.4# @ 27"... ah, but the weight of the scale is hanging on there too, so I weighed that, its an extra 0.37# which I'll round up to 0.4#
That would give a total of 48.8#@27 which is good.

I see some tillering set ups with the scale fixed at the top and the bow hanging down from that. It has one big advantage that if the bow breaks, the scale doesn't come smashing down on to the floor, but it has the disadvantage that the measure of draw length is trickier, as a spring type scale stretches as it is pulled down so the rule needs attaching to the bow string or the hook at the bottom of the scale. Also when measuring the draw weight, the physical weight of the bow is also hanging on there so that needs accounting for if you want an accurate weight. Mind that is all a bit academic except for something like flight shooting as quoted bow weights are often a good bit out once the bow has had a few hundred arrows through it.

Now I've got 3 flight bows all at just under 50# @ 27" I can test 'em through the chrono' and decide which I intend to shoot.... bugger... just realised I'v got to make a string for this one first before I can chrono' it.
Better get on with it then!
Ha! Got the string made... tested it through the chrono... woo!
211.9 fps

No comments:

Post a Comment