Monday 4 November 2019

Bouncing Back


After the collapsing step ladder incident I didn't feel too bad, but the next day it kicked in and I felt rotten. It's all settled down now, but I'm still a tad sore, so when I went to the Society of Finsbury Archers Baron Camoys shoot at Stonor Park (Oxfordshire) I just shot over the morning.
It was a great shoot, in a lovely setting with a large turnout (50 plus?) and great company. I enjoyed a good natter and a bite at lunchtime before driving home. The shoot itself was roving marks with many of the shots being across the valley. Just before lunch we did the speed shoot, as many arrows as you can get off in 30 seconds at a mark set at about 100 paces. I loosed 6 arrows with 3 of them scoring which was pretty good, one guy managed 7 with 5 scoring which is impressive.
Whilst there I handed back the bow that had needed some fiddling and fetting and collected a lovely Pacific Yew stave from Rob which he wants turning into a 130-140# warbow.
Many thanks to Emma and "Dodge" Erry for the excellent organsiation.

The decision to quit at lunch was a good one as I arrived home in good time, pleasantly tired and ready for my Sunday roast.

I've picked up one of the skinny Yew staves and started work on a primitive for a guy... (another Rob), he'd had his name down for a bow for ages, and this seemed like the right stave to give it a go.
I no longer have a real list of orders as I tend to only make them for people I know (or who visit) or if some interesting wood turns up or an
Anyhow the primitive a bit odd as the stave seems much skinnier at one end with not much heartwood and it has some sideways bend and a nice burr knot on one limb, the target weight is only 40-45# @28" so it should be fine and have some interesting character. Hopefully I'll get it on the tiller for first flex today or tomorrow. I might trim down the big Yew stave too just to get a feel of it, and to see if I can cut off that corner knot, it might even yield a useful off-cut for a belly lamination.
I'd better get on with it rather than sitting here ...ha... my enthusiasm is back :-)

interesting bow is wanted. I only make 'em when I want to rather than when I feel I should... doing it because you "ought to" is a mistake IMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment