Monday 14 October 2024

Good Day at the Club

 I went to our Sunday rove, despite a stinking cold. I had a Yew stick bow to hand over, to replace a smashed 35# Yew primitive. I also collected the smashed one for a post mortem (I couldn't see any problem, other than it being in two pieces!). The stick bow, performed beautifully with arrows flying out with not even a hint of waggle.
I was given a couple of bottles of wine by another guy as a thank you for making him the "Robust Yew Primitive" with which he won his last 3D field shoot.
I wasn't up to shooting having had a flu jab and covid jab in my upper arms the day before, but I had a good natter with the guys, a tot of medicinal rum and I walked out to the first mark with them.
The weather was lovely and a breath of fresh air did me a power of good, knackered by the time I got home though!
Out of interest, I sawed a cross section of the failed bow, near where it broke. It shows rather nicely how deep the heat treating penetrates, how I'd maintained a fairly even thickness of sapwood, despite the heart/sap boundary not following a ring.



No comments:

Post a Comment