Monday 22 April 2013

Chat, Rant and Stealth Planting

We went down South to see family for a couple of day. Had a nice walk, and of course I ended up Yew hunting in the woods, I'd remembered a potential stave in a Yew tree from about 15-20 years ago. It all looked different and where I thought the bridleway was next to a field and the Yew was in the field, it had now become scrubby woodland carpeted in wood anemones.
Very picturesque, I was rather irritated by big signs nailed to an Oak say PRIVATE NO TRESPASS and some message about 'This wood is watched' phone 101 if you see anyone acting suspiciously.
Fortunately I wasn't wearing a black and white horizontaly striped T shirt and a mask, nor did I have a bag with swag written on it full of saw, axe and wedges.
What a load of b*ll*cks!
AFIK if I don't do any damage (and I was careful where I walked) then it's not trespass. It would have been vastly more helpful to have some contact number for the landowner, of at least some land registry information so that if I did find some Yew I could enquire about acquiring it legally.
Any how I didn't spot any suitable staves, but there were some V big straight Yews which would prob' do as commercial timber. I daresay I could trace the land owner if needed. I was also struck by the fact that the new fence was at least a couple of foot further into the bridleway than the old one.

We saw a Nuthatch going into a hole high up in a dead tree which was rather cheering.
Whilst chatting to my Mum she reminded me of the quote that the working class treat the police as their enemy, the middle class treat them as their equals and the upper class treat them as their servant.
Yes we don't want scruffy serfs trampling around in our woodland now do we?
In contrast the big estate, and the forestry commission down in that area were both very helpful when I approached them for Yew. They both also have very good public access.
I s'pose I should add there was no sign that the woodland was being managed in any way and certainly not for rearing game birds.

Got home early this afternoon and did some pottering in the garden. My wife was tidying the borders and asked if I wanted some tiny Yew saplings that were growing there.
I said yes and promptly took three over to the woods (public space maintained by the council and volunteer groups) and planted them in a hopefully suitable spot. Theoretically I should apply to the council to plant them, but I'm probably as well informed as them about the Yew trees in this area.
Shhhhhh, you ain't seen me roight?

3 comments:

  1. "Which was nice..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you Del , I have about 6 seedlings that I have planted out and keep an eye on , hopefully until they are considered trees and protected .
    I feel its my duty as a bowyer to the generations yet to come

    ReplyDelete