Saturday 9 February 2019

Yew Backed Yew

Following the blow up of the Yew warbow (previous post) due to it having suspect sapwood.
I've sawn the sapwood off the spliced billet stave from the same source of wood. I had planned to bamboo back it, but the guy for whom I'm doing it would rather not have 'boo (a bit booist if you ask me ;-) ).

Anyhow, searching through my stash I found a long thin slice from a Yew log which was virtually all sapwood, complete with bark and decided to back it with that.
It took a deal of careful work on the bandsaw to reduce it to a thin sapwood strip. The strip had some twist in it, and you'd think that, being thin, it would easily strap down flat for gluing. Surprisingly it's still quite stiff in the twist direction, so I did some twist removal with the heat gun and my "limb spanner".
Like most glue ups, the time is all in the preparation, so I got it all as flat and well fitting as possible before gluing, I also protected the nice clean back with masking tape to keep any stray glue off it.
I've got it glued and strapped up, it has a hint of deflex, but that's not a bad thing with heavy bows, I didn't want to start reflexing the tips.
It'll be ready to unwrap tomorrow.

You can see in the last pic, the bark has been popped off by gently flexing the backing strip.
The limb spanner is just made from a scrap of old timber, but provides the leverage to do the job. It doesn't take much force to take out the twist once the wood is hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment