Wednesday 26 June 2019

Non Bow Related Activity


The roof of the Pergola/Pagoda thingy in the garden was falling down and in need of repair.
When I built it I'd wanted to clad the roof in Copper, but that was too expensive and it got left as treated softwood boards which have now rotted. I built it partly just for the fun of working with green Oak.

 It's totally overgrown with Ivy and Roses, but once I got in and started cutting out the dead stuff and the Ivy it didn't take too long to clear. the main Oak structure is still pretty sound so I've re-boarded the roof and I'm going to cover it with rubber sheet. I may do a decorative trim of Copper on the front edge.

The decking beneath it needs replacing too as that has rotted through. I'll be interested to see what is under the decking as I suspect a variety of small mammals and maybe crocodiles have been nesting under there.

I'll wait for a nice dry day before gluing on the rubber. Then I'll work on the deck, one of the Oak verticals is a bit rotted at the bottom, but probably only on the surface... pretty tough stuff Oak.

There are about 3 main stems of rose still going across it and I've been careful to leave those as they run up into the Yew tree and give a nice show of white roses, they run up next door's Rowan tree too, giving us both the benefit of a nice display.
It grieves me a bit when some people decimate their gardens of trees and rely on their neighbours to provide the shade, blossom and view. Our neighbours on that side are very good and have some lovely trees, notably a huge Hornbeam. They also have a big pond which brings in the Ducks.

All has been approved by the inspector of works! :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment