Friday 5 June 2020

Grrrrrrrr

I'm rather annoyed I've spent a couple of days re-backing the 120# Boo/Yew primitive. Got it on the tiller and the glue line just popped!I've always used Cascamite for gluing backings and laminations and never had a problem. I started a new tub to glue for this bamboo back. It normally mixes to a beige creamy consistency... this was white, it also didn't seem to spread or wet the surface very well leaving an orange peel effect. It did seem to gel and harden correctly.... As I'm flexing the bow on the tiller I hear a "crack" and the glue line opened up on the grip... I stuck a pallet knife in the gap and waggled it around, giving it a light tap with a hammer. It just split off easily with the glue line parting leaving a chalky surface! Normally the glue line is stronger than the wood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7B960-IA1U&t=10s
I've ordered some more from Axminster as I no longer trust the previous supplier. There are other glues of course but I'm averse to unnecessary change... a month or so back I was invited (online) to have my NHS repeat prescription automatically delivered by post from the company that runs the chemist that I go to... I thought I'd have a look... once I started the process, it turned out that they couldn't do my wife's medication at the same time (saving postage etc) but they were hoping to provide this service later. I added a note saying that, in that case I wouldn't bother with the service. Of course they ignored my note and my medication arrived in plenty of time... Great... why was I annoyed you ask? Because next month it didn't arrive... despite their website saying it was "posted" (but with no date). I ended up phoning the chemist and they got everything back on track, restoring it to the old system... I take in the prescriptions in plenty of time and collect them a week later. Do you want us to text you when it's ready for collection? NO! I don't want to add another layer of unnecessary complexity, creating extra work and the potential for cock-ups thank you very much.... STOP CHANGING STUFF THAT WORKS FINE!
Calm calm... Then the fecking garlic press broke... FFS... maybe I'll machine one from solid. Whadda ya mean I'm going lockdown crazy? I'm not the only one.... I was in the garage and I heard some very loud f'ing and blinding outside as a neighbour was having a face off with a UPS driver who had bumped into his car. So I loaded up the Chinese repeating crossbow, lifted the garage door stepped out and asked "Punk, do you want to make my day?" Ok the last bit's a lie. Even Emily cat is getting stressed and over grooming again ..... it's Hitler Cat encroaching on her territory. Other than that all is quiet and peaceful here.
UPDATE:- I got a phone call from Polyvine who make Cascamite and they suggested that the glue may have spoiled due to being stored at high temperature in a distribution warehouse. It's basically made of 3 components, all being fine white powder and apparently the hardener component can deteriorate. They will send me out a new tub. In future I will buy direct from them (Polyvine.com) not a distributor. Mind I will still do a test batch when it arrives.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete