Sunday 3 January 2021

Getting on with it.

 I'd been working on a scruffy bow made from 2 mismatched Yew billets. I'd only spliced it up (Z splice) in order to video the process for someone. One good limb had some deflex and reflex with cleanly define heart/sap wood. The other was just scruffy and from a much narrower branch which had weird heart/sap and the central pith was running up the belly, just under the surface.
To cut a longs story short it exploded on the tiller, but to be honest I'd only really been doing it to give me something to fiddle about with (videos on the Del Cat Youtube channel).

Now that's out the way, I'm going to look at the heartless walnut I cut last year. I'll probably start on the worst piece first and see what it's like work and how it performs. The main concern is the huge reflex in the staves.
The growth rings are really fat, I think the tree had been growing above an underground gravel bed (about 3' dawn) that had water running through it, which would account for the rapid growth. I'll see if I can clean the back and sides up to a decent surface so that I can have a good look and then rough it out on the bandsaw.




No comments:

Post a Comment