Thursday 14 January 2021

Walnut sapwood bow finished

I'm very pleasantly surprised, having gone at it like a bull at a gate with the worst piece of walnut, it seems remarkably good.
I've only had one shot at full draw, and not seen it on the tiller beyond about 24", but it seems to have retained a nice hint of reflex. I'd guess the weight is a tad short of 40# at 27" but I'll check it on the tiller some time. I'll probably test it through the chrono to see how it performs.
It's a whisker over 2" wide at the widest.
I'm impressed as I'd expected it to take some set and maybe chrysal... ok I know it's low draw weight and it's wide and heat treated, but it's not over long. Maybe I'll see how hard I can push it, but won't go beyond 28", maybe try with some light flight arrows?
I haven't got a full brace full draw pic yet, as I've only just made the string... check out the build along on the Youtube channel (Del Cat) I've made it into a play list.:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqUKCNhT5w&list=PLBz2tD9476KRuVA_Fkpzav-457zLavBU5


I've now had it back to full draw on the tiller and it's a whisker over 40# @ 28". It shoots nicely, my first 3 test shots at 10 yards, put one low and left, the next two were in the kill on a paper target of a Jay.
The dark mark on the side of the right limb near the tip makes it look like a bit of a kink.
Update:- Just shot it through the chrono... 168fps... nice :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment