Friday 26 February 2021

Walnut Decisions

 I haven't posted recently as I'd not done anything on the 2nd Walnut bow.
Mind I have been tinkering about with my lathe. I made a nylon leadscrew nut as the old cast iron one was very sloppy, it took some doing, but was an interesting job and seems to have been worthwhile as the lathe feels much better now. The picture shows the first try out version. It's a 5/8" 8 tpi ACME thread)



I've also done a couple of videos looking at what happens when you draw an even slat of bamboo from off centre like a Yumi bow, this was following some discussion on one of the archery forums. There seems to be several types of idiot... on sort will ask questions and then totally ignore the detailed answer, another sort will merely change the question without answering any of the points raised... regarding the Yumi, it was someone who quoted some 'O level' physics, as if I didn't know it already.

Anyhow I did a follow up video to show that what you see doesn't necessarily lead you to draw a sensible conclusion, especially if you don't correctly apply the physics (Hooke's Law in this case).


Anyhow back top the plot with the Walnut, I've shot a few more arrows through the first one and that's made me decide to tiller the 2nd to 50# @27" initially as a 50# flight bow. If it takes no set then I may add some extra recurve at the tips to work it harder. I'll go for 27" draw as I have some 27" flight arrows.
Hopefully in a month or so we'll be able to get out shooting again.
I had my first Covid vaccination a couple of days ago, I felt a bit achy and tired for 24 hours, but just took it easy.
Hope you are all staying safe and not going too stir crazy.

3 comments:

  1. Fiddling about carving out a small cracked portion of the back of a maple self bow intending to epoxy on a new piece; what epoxy do you use to attach a new piece of wood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For patches I use Cascamite or Titebond III.
    I use epoxy for smaller jobs like nocks and inlay, or on the rare occasions when I use glassfibre laminations on back and belly.

    ReplyDelete