Sunday 25 April 2021

Elm Bow Repair

 One of the guys at the club noticed a splinter lifting on the back of his Elm bow once he'd braced it
... now this bow was originally about 100# but that was back in August 2015 so it's had a pretty good innings and has been through a few different hands.
I brought it back, and unstrung the splinter is barely visible, Elm has "interlocking grain" as shown by the fact that it's a pig to split with axe and wedges, so hopefully the crack won't propagate too far if glued and bound up. You can actually see the run of the grain seems to be diagonally across the back, which would have caused some woods to have failed in the tillering.



Anyhow, I won't know how it holds up until he tries it out... I'm not going to put it on the tiller (or maybe I will..).
It's taken a fair bit of set over the years and is now probably at about 80# . It just needs a wipe of Danish oil and some beeswax polish to finish the repair.



3 comments:

  1. What did you use to bind it up? I have a similar splinter lifting in a 45# white hickory bow. I have glued and clamped it up and was thinking I probably should bind it when I ran across you blog.
    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I bind it with a fairly fine, unwaxed linen thread, which I then touch with low viscosity superglue (you won't find it in the shops... I get it off Ebay). It wicks into the linen thread very well and gives a good solid binding)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Derek, I'll probably go that way as well.
      Cheers
      Hope the New Year treats you well.
      Mark

      Delete