Thursday 27 May 2021

ELB from Scruffy Yew Billets

 A couple of weeks back one of the guys, Don, from the club brought over 2 Yew logs. I sawed 'em into staves and a pair of billets. The wood looked a bit iffy, having blue grey streaks and poorly defined sapwood.
I tried an off-cut under the draw knife and the sapwood felt lovely, nice and creamy, like a nice cheddar!
having sawn the billets, I thought I'd splice 'em together, going for a 4 1/2" long Z splice. having done that I sort of carried on, until I'd finished the bow. I made it to about the right spec' for Don, although he may prefer a bow from a single stave that's not quite so long. 
This one ended up 75" nock to nock, 75# @ 28" I made it long to allow for a slightly stiff grip and all the knots. there was one big knot in the upper limb that had some rot, but as I dug it out I realised it might well become a nice feature as it had some burr figure in it.
Enough chat, here are some pics.









No comments:

Post a Comment