Sunday 2 May 2021

More Repair Jobs

 The Elm bow I repaired the other week, has stood up to a day's roving. But I've got another couple of jobs, one is a boo backed Yew by a Canadian Bowyer (Jamie from Ravenbeak), so it's not practical to send it to him for repair. It's a crack on the belly, I'll let in a patch. It's a nice looking bow, so it will be good to keep it is shooting order.
The next repair was Another bow, from a slightly dodgy character Yew stave that I made some time back for my mate JD (not to be confused with JT!)... iI was a sort of bonus Austrian Yew stave, an off-cut from the side of a stave that was thrown in with some others as barely useable. It's fairly heavy 80#@ 28" and he was testing it as a flight bow at a 24" draw (the light arrows can be a bit harsh on a bow). The tip snapped off, where there a bog swirl/undulation on the grain. I recon I'll be able to glue it back together and than overlay a patch of sapwood on the back, and chisel out a substantial groove in the belly for a slat of timber (maybe Boo?)
It's interesting to see what is salvageable and it enhances my skills, I recon a lot of bows get discarded because people just don't know what can or can't be repaired.
The break is very instructive as it shows that although I've tried to follow the flow of the grain as it curves up and down back to belly, I haven't managed to follow the sideways flow.
I've got the two parts glued and strapped, I'll see how it looks tomorrow when the glue has cured. The two pieces pushed together nicely.






No comments:

Post a Comment