Sunday 15 August 2021

Radical Flight Arrow


 After the Character Yew ELB exploded I needed a quick fun project that wasn't a bow. Well I had this idea for a flight arrow. The premise was you start with a shaft that is smaller than normal diameter, but because of that it is too flexible. Long wooden vanes are added to both stabilise the flight and stiffen the back end of the arrow. I expect it's been tried before, but I wanted to see what it would do.
I started with a 9/32" shaft of about 30 spine and add three long thin shallow fins of Ash, a brass point was added which get the balance point to just about centre.
I tested it this morning, It left the hand with no problems but the back end was swinging round (nutating) in a circle. As it started to come down it flattened out and started twirling round like a Sycamore seed drifting in the wind! Highly entertaining!

I'd also made another flight arrow (32") taking the best performing arrow that I'd made for my mate JT as the reference/start point, and making minor changes that I hoped would improve it.
I kept the same 5/16 shaft as the basis for the arrow but narrowed the front end much more, adding a wooden footing for strength (and to keep some front end weight). the back end was similarly tapered to the reference arrow. I used the same profile fletching and kept the balance point just about the same. These changes resulted in the arrow being slightly lower spine at the front, but slightly stiffer in the rear, it also reduced the weight by 50grains.
JT had a quick try out for comparison using the bow he'd been roving with (about 90# ? ) and the new arrow flew 18yards further. hardly a conclusive test, but highly encouraging. I think it went about 285 yards, which is OK considering it wasn't a flight bow. I told him to shoot another 100 shot for comparison and to tabulate the results ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting arrow!
    I know that with an aeroplane, if the aerodynamic centre of pressure (CofAP) isn't sufficiently rearward of the CofG the craft will be unstable in either pitch or yaw (or both) - I can't help but wonder if the same isn't the case here... It would be interesting to see what would happen if you took off the front, say, 50% (figure plucked out of the air) off the length of those vanes to move the CofAP backward with respect to the CofG (presuming that you don't want to simply add weight to the front in order to move the CofG forward!)

    It's always interesting to see your experiments - keep up the good work ;-)
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, that's exactly what I'm planning to do :)
    Watch this space!
    Cheers
    Del

    ReplyDelete