Wednesday 2 March 2022

Archer's Sallet


I've been modifying a repro' archer's sallet that I was given as a present years ago. It's too big and the brow isn't low enough, it's more of a shallow dish than a deep bowl. (see first pic with eye line marked in black). Anyway it's an excuse to use my new welder.
The game plan is to remove the nice leather liner, cut a slot across above the brow, bend the brow down and welding in a plate. I'll also cut up vertically above the nose and take out a wedge of material and close up the gap. I made a block shaped like my head to support it while panel beating it, I've also bought a small panel beating dolly of E-bay.
The work is progressing and I cut out the wedge and squeezed the sides in with a big sash clamp (and some heat and thumps with a mallet), I then tack welded it to keep it in place.
The 2nd pic shows the tack weld and how much I've lowered the brow.





No comments:

Post a Comment