Thursday 3 June 2021

Heavy Bow Flight Arrow

 

Pic shows a warbow arrow, flight arrow for 110# @30" bow and a flight arrow for a 50# @ 28" ELB
The flight arrow for the 110# is the one I've just finished for a friend it is somewhat heavier than I'd normally make for a heavy bow, it's also stiffer spine as I got some nice stiff 3/8" (approx) pine shafts. I saw 'em about a year ago online and bought 'em while I could.
Anyhow here are some specs.
Max dia 9.7mm tapering to 6.6 mm at the point and 8.3 at the nock. Note, thickest point is between 1/3 and 1/2 of the way from the nock end.
Hardwood footing (Cumaru?) with a brass point, turned with a  3mm pin (about 30mm long) at the back which is glued into a corresponding hole in the footing.
The spine is about 110# , I had to do some calibrating of my spine tester as I don't usually get 'em this stiff. The fletchings goose feather 40mm long and 6mm high.
I posted it off today so hopefully it will get tried at the weekend or early next week.
The bow is a 110# "Barbarian" from Hillbilly Bows, a one piece glass on wood design with some reflex at the tips and no arrow shelf or cutaway.
It will be interesting to see if it extends his PB :-)

I've also done some more on the Boo/Yew heavy lever bow:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZOn5a_bBaY
The Force/Draw curve shows it should reach about 85# @27" which is too much for me at the moment as I struggled with 75# @ 28" at the weekend. The early draw weight also makes it feel like it is heavier. I've added a line to interpret it to 28". If you continued the line from before the levers come it it would be somewhere near 130# (vertical axis is pounds, horizontal axis inches). The kink in F/D curve is where the string lifts off the levers.
I've since pulled it to 24", so it's not far off now. Next ting is to start narrowing the levers and doing some fiddling and fettling of the tiller, rounding corners etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment