Tuesday 29 June 2021

Smashed or is it?

 I lightened the levers of the lever bow considerably but when I pulled it back on the tiller, the string didn't want to return correctly between the string catcher ears. I carefully removed wood at the tips to get the string returning true and finally tried a couple of test shots. On the third it went BANG... the string had missed the lever and the bow limbs had overshot and bent the wrong way breaking the yew belly. It was a fairly clean break starting at a point where I'd let in a small block to replace a patch of manky black wood on the corner of belly and side. The yew had lifted from the bamboo over an inch or so. Short video showing it being shot successfully, and the detail of the break



On careful inspection I decided to try a repair. The bamboo was sound and the bow hadn't bent too far back, the belly was mostly a clean crack at 45 degrees across. I opened up the cracks by flexing the wrong way slightly and flooding it with Cascamite. By flexing it back and forth the glue was getting pumped into the gaps. The bow was then put up on the tiller and drawn to a slight tension. I could see a slight gap between the bamboo and the Yew so I added a couple of clamps.

The bow has been braced no, but I noticed a little damage to the tip of the top nock. I'll need to re-shape the tips anyway to accommodate the change in string loops which will make the string sit at a different angle.





The Bamboo back was protected with masking tape before I started the gluing, and for clamping I have some plywood blocks that have a nice curve on one face specifically for clamping bamboo backs. The belly side was protected with a scraps of thin plywood.
This morning I tok the bow down and cleaned up the repair, it looks pretty good. I may chisel out a long narrow groove and let in a length of Yew to act as a key across the gap, but maybe not.
I'll probably reduce the draw weight and the experiment with other ways of getting the string to track... longer string loops which run down either side of the levers, being one.

No comments:

Post a Comment