Friday 27 September 2019

Bow Scale Peak Hold


I've been roped into decorating the lobby, blimey it was only done about 15 years ago ;-) ...

So, I was looking for a quick little project that I could do whilst waiting for walls to dry etc.
A peak hold needle for my bow scale is something I've been thinking about for ages and it gave me an excuse to play about on my lathe.
It's turned from brass in two parts with an M4 thread, the actual needle is cut out of some tin plate (an old olive oil can ... I knew it would be useful!) and glued onto the brass with epoxy. The vital friction is supplied by a cardboard washer, the two parts are nipped up to give the right degree of friction and a spot of superglue is applied to the thread.
The threaded hole goes right through (unlike in the sketch) and the needle has a hole in it so I can see the thread to apply a spot of glue.
The sketch was just a rough guide and some dimensions needed changing once it was tried on the scale... notably the thickness of the brass section which sits inside... when I first measured (having drilled the hole in the clear plastic) I forgot to subtract the thickness of the plastic, so its, 7mm not 10mm

The needle is coloured black with a felt pen... it has a little tab bent down towards the scales o that the red needle pushes it round as it advances.

It works a treat, I'd like to knurl the knob but I've no way of conveniently holding it tight enough in the lathe chuck without risking damaging the M4 thread... if it ain't bust, don't fix it.
It will be handy for doing force draw curves and measuring the draw weight of the crossbow which is very tricky as it's difficult to draw it and see the scale.
Notem the scale has the Kg markings painted over and bold lines added every 10 pounds, with big spots every 50 pounds, this helps it show up in video footage.

Update:- I had to modify the red needle a bit as the forked back end was also moving mypeak hold needle! I just trimmed a couple of mm off the forked end.
I then set up to measure the crossbow draw weight. I was a tad surprised to find it was only 73#, but I s'pose the performance is pretty good considering. I may increase the draw length a little more taking it up to about 80# which should give the speed a nice boost, but I don't want to over do it as it is perfoming nicely now and the weight is very manageable.

1 comment: