Friday 6 September 2019

String Jig

Here are some pics of my jig for making continuous loop strings.
Made from some scrap bits of Dexion, the vertical bit is welded on (badly) but could be bolted.
An S shaped hook of wire (clothes hanger) is also needed to pull one side of the loop down and out of the way while the other side is being served.
Note:- The scraps of string tied to the dexion is just where I've tied the string as I start to wind it back and forth along the jig. It then gets cut off or undone and tied to the other end to complete the continuous loop.

I've just shown one end for clarity, it also shows how the two main lengths bolt together for coarse length adjustment, it will do any string from a warbow to a crossbow prod.
The hooks for each end are wire tensioning bolts with the loops opened up shaped and smoothed.(Other brands are also available)
I may add to this post with more description and illustrations as a resource for people wanting to make one.
I know someone who made a similar jig using that 2 slot shelving support and brackets. (see pic right)
Note fine selection of books :-)

Ha, just found this old sketch from 2011, which may be helpful for anyone who isn't familiar with continuous loop strings.
I don't bother with the masking tape now that I have my jig and my bent wire S hook to keep the two sides of the loop separate
Note:- A couple of extra strands can be laid onto the string where the loops will be whipped, if some extra thickness is required. I do this for very thin flight bow strings which are only 6 strand.



6 comments:

  1. When you're making your strings, do you do the serving for the loops in the middle of the jig and then rotate the whole string to "normal" position and then do the serving to make the loops? And then the center serving of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that's the idea.Serve two 3" sections which will become the loops, as one is being served, the other side is hooked down with the S shaped bit of wire. Once the first is served, slide it along to one end and mark where the second 3" length needs to be at the other end using masking tape. Slide that to the middle and serve it. Then slide it along so that the loop servings are at each end. Rotate one other end hooks to put in about 30 twists and then wind in some tension by tightening the nut. give it a good waxing, then whip the Y of the loops.
    I then try the string on the bow before putting it back on the jig and doing the centre serving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you get the hang of it, it's V quick.
    I've recently found that when doing the Y where the loops are formed it helps to bind 3 or 4 turns of fine linen thread to pull it together and then touched with superglue before too much tension is added.Only do this with man-made string material as the superglue will stick the linen to clench it round the string, but won't stick to the string material and cause it to go stiff and crack/chafe. This helps to stop the serving spreading appart in heavy warbows.
    Hope that all makes some sort of sense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did notice your books Derek. Prepare to turn green!
    I recently bought "The Great Warbow" by Strickland and Hardy in a charity shop for £4!
    Mint condition, hardback, signed by the latter author and with several clippings from newspapers on related topics.
    I couldn't believe my luck.
    Great blog which I look forward to reading each day. Thanks a lot. You are very generous with your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll raise that a copy of "Billets to Bows" signed by Glenn St Charles... and Robert Hardy's "The Longbow" is signed of course... ( Ooooh ;-) )
      Cheers
      Del

      Delete