Wednesday 4 September 2019

Talking Out Of My Arse!

The patch is done and looks good... but what??? It's on the upper (right) limb???
What's going on??? The lower (left) was the weak one????
A bit of checking of my videos reveals I'd missed out a stage in my explanation, and I was, what's technically known as "talking out of my arse".
The full explanation:-
1. The left limb appeared to have a localised weakness (as seen on the video)
2. I re-heat treated that area, which improved it a bit.
3. Did some judicious re-tillering which got it looking even.
4. Noticed the thin sliver buckling at the pin knot on the edge (mistakenly assuming it was on the lower limb) and glued that.
5. Found the larger buckled area and did the patch.
6. Tiller check shows it looks much better (as per the end of step 3) but needs some tweaking still.


Now all this shows how easy is to get confused as to which limb is which and what you are doing.
I make no apology for this as it is part and parcel of bow making.
It also shows why I so often sprinkle my answers to questions with "In my opinion" and "I don't know, but I think..." etc.

I hope this makes everyone feel better about their mistakes and confusions :-)

Latest video:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alZi4fvO2p4&t=1s

No comments:

Post a Comment