Tuesday, 2 May 2017


I cut this Laburnum back in 2011 when it had died in our garden, it was split yielding two halves, one deflex with a big knot and hole and the other better half with reflex.
I've followed by usual practice of using the bad stave first and this is certainly challenging. It could be argued that the biggest tests for a bowyer are the character bow and the flight bow, this will certainly be a test.
I have used Laburnum before in my primitive crossbow. It's a lot harder than Yew and has rather an Osage feel to it with a big difference between the rings of early and late wood in terms of hardness. It's not so bad to work now I've sharpened my tools!
The two halves had been standing in the corner of the garage staring at me accusingly for the last 5 years and I'd looked at 'em and chalked out potential bow layouts.
Anyhow I was at a loose end so I roughed 'em down a bit on the bandsaw, and then roughed the deflexed one down a bit more.

I s'pose I should have a target weight so I'll say 40-45 at 28".
There are weird little oval pin knots in the wood and at one end they are sort of going through to the back. The stave is only about 62" long which is probably ok, but the end with the weirdness may be the end which was near the ground and had some rot. Worst case I can splice on a clean bit for the tip.
It's starting to flex when I lean on it so the next step is to get it up on the tiller.
You'll see I've been working outside while the sun is out, lovely smell of Lilac every time I walk in or out :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment