Friday 13 March 2020

New Belt Sander




The old belt sander is past it's prime and has had many repairs and mods. I'd been looking online for some time and found that Machine Mart do a decent one for just over £300, it's being superseded and they didn't have any left for delivery. There was one left in Cambridge , so I drove there and got it.
I made a bit of a cock up, as I'd already started bidding on one of the same sanders on E-bay, but decided I wanted it now! I put in a maximum bid of £100 so hopefully I'll get out bid... if not I s'pose I go and collect it, clean it up and re-auction it... it has to be worth at least £200 (whew, I got out bid and it went for £126... a bargain for someone)

Like a lot of tools it needed some assembly and tuning up to get it working right, but it's a beast with a 1 hp motor (the old one was 1/2 hp). The belts are 48" x 6" as opposed to 36" x 4" and the flat sanding surface is 17.5" compared to 11.5" the best thing is I can bear down hard on an Ash backing strip and it won't stall the sander, it actually does the job.
I've had to modify the dust extraction a bit to allow long staves etc to be sanded. First pic shows the old and new sanders side by side.I've been using it to prepare the Ash backing and Yew belly for a Warbow/Flight bow to lob heavy "standard" and "military" arrows. I've prepared a former for the glue up which is sawn from from a 3 1/2" x 1 1/2" (C16 structural grade) length of timber, I sorted through the timber and found one bit which was quarter sawn and relatively knot free. I sawed it on the bandsaw and then glued the two bits together separated with spacers, this allows G clamps to be conveniently fitted whilst keeping the former big enough to remain solid and be clamped in the vice.
 I'm not sure if I've got the Yew heartwood belly thick enough to get the required poundage (100-110?), I can always add another belly lamination if needed, but bearing in mind it has a little reflex (about 3/4") and will be 31" draw, hopefully it will be ok. I'll give it a flex on the tiller to gauge the draw weigh before rounding the belly at all.
That way, it will still be clean and flat if I want to add an additional belly lamination.

Update:- Next day, I've got it cleaned up and had a first flex on the tiller, it has plenty of poundage :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZkE_BBgmTc



No comments:

Post a Comment