Sunday 1 March 2020

Testing a Couple of Bows

I went over to Boyton Cross (Now Strike Archers) fairly early, lovely day clear blue sky bit a fairly chill wind blowing briskly.
I was testing the 45# @ 30 Boo Yew and the scruffy Italian Yew 80# at 29" (but it's more like 80# a@26" at the mo') I also took my only 32" draw bow (Hickory backed Yew) to warm up with.
The Boo/Yew shoots nicely with a 30" 5/16" arrow small 2 1/2" parabolic fletchings and 100gn points. I had some 11/32" 28" with cut down fletchings and 100 gn points too which flew smoother but not so far (mind some of that would be the reduced draw.
To allow for the wind I shot both ways and averaged 206 yards for the 5/16" ... 181 yards for the 11/32".
I'd been, done my testing and gone before anyone turned up, mind I was accompanied by the usual green woodpeckers which always make me smile.

The lower pic shows where I've been fettling the arrow pass on the boo Yew to get the arrows touching it centrally and easing it off a tad to make it a little closer to centre shot to suit the 5/16" arrows as they were wagging their tales when I first tried it the other day.
It slightly amuses me when I hear endless discussion about arrow spine, as I tend to adjust the bow to be tolerant of the arrows I want to shoot, there are so many variables and a slight tweak of brace height or a couple of strokes of a bastard file may well be enough to give a smooth flight rather than rushing off to buy a new set of arrows.

Here are some dimensions taken from the upper limb for future reference.
Note:- the first and last measurements are not at 6" intervals, this is to avoid the nodes in the bamboo which would exaggerate the thickness measurement and also to fit in with the limb length.
Overall length nock to nock 72"
Distance from nock , Thickness, Width
4"                                12.8mm , 19.9mm
10"                              14.0mm , 27.2mm
16"                              14.1mm , 34.2mm
22"                              15.6mm , 37.7mm
28"                              16.7mm , 39.7mm
32"                              20.3mm , 40.6mm

I was hoping to able to draw the heavier bow, but couldn't quite get on top of it, I was managing about 27" of draw but the left arm was trying to collapse so I only got off about 5 shots before discretion made me quit. I've been doing about 15 press-ups night and morning and some other random stuff, drawing a bow is an odd action and it uses strange muscle groups. Take the left arm for example... the big fat bicep is no use keeping the arm straight, it's the weedy triceps which has to stop the arm folding up (obviously with some back and shoulder muscles are working too) so maybe I'll look at some specific exercise or just walk around all day with a 10kg weight in each hand.
Out of interest, when shooting the 11/32" arrows from the heavy bow I only got 'em to go about a yard further than with the 45# boo yew ! It shows I was no where near mastering the bow.

4 comments:

  1. "to get the arrows touching it centrally" Could you elaborate on this? I've heard that it should touch toward the back and also that it should touch toward the belly. Opinions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't make a huge amount of difference, but the closer to the back it contacts the less of an angle the arrow is being deflected. However I don't like the idea of it contacting on an edge where the back and side meet.
      So I like the arrow pass to be a slightly curved surface with contact in the middle... this also allows an arrow plate to be inlaid if required without it being on the edge of the bow.
      Hope that makes sense.

      Delete
  2. Limb mass on the heavier bow slowing the arrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More likely just drawing it to 25". My mate JT tried it yesterday from a decent draw and said it fine :-)

      Delete